A desktop engineer handles problems of a user so that they get comfortable while using the system. They are meant to perform some of the tasks like installation of the operating system. And they are also involved in the assembly of the computers at times. They provide support and maintenance to the customers within the company’s desktop computing. They also handle diagnosis, repair, maintenance, and upgrading the existing system. They are also involved in providing a solution to other peripheral devices. And ensure excellent performance. A desktop engineer is one of the kinds of technician jobs.
- They address issues related to hardware, software and networking which forms the basis of communication.
- They provide their assistance in installation of applications and peripheral devices with their great communication skills and in-depth technical knowledge.
- They interact with customers to solve their problems. They make conversation with customers and ask their problems and diagnose the problems according to the situation.
- They guide users with simple and step-by-step instructions.
- They carry out and conduct remote troubleshooting.
- They test alternative pathways to solve the issues of the customers.
- They customize desktop applications to meet the needs of user.
- They record technical issues and solutions and, maintain a separate a record.
- They direct the unresolved issues to the higher level for support from personnel.
- They follow up with clients to ensure their systems are functional.
- They also report feedback of customer and potential requests of products.
- They also help in creating technical documentation and manuals.
Requirements to become a desktop engineer
If you want to become a desktop then you need to fulfill following requirements to successfully get a job.
- BSc/B.Tech in Computer Science or relevant field.
- BCA/MCA candidates are also hired for this job.
- They must have customer-oriented attitude, i.e. have a problem solving attitude.
- They must be excellent in solving of problems and must be good at multitasking.
- They must be good at performing remote troubleshooting and provide clear instructions to the users.
- The technician must have knowledge of network security practices and anti-virus programs so as to ensure safety to the customers.
- They have knowledge of office products and computer peripherals, like printers and scanners and many more.
- They must be comfortable on working with Windows/Linux/Mac OS environments. As the customers can be from any platform.
- Those who hold experience as a desktop support engineer or technical support Engineer or worked on a similar role can are given preference.
- Must have knowledge of SQL or TCP/IP to provide necessary help to the organization and customers as well.
There are various technician jobs where a desktop engineer can work; some of the similar profiles are as follows:
- Customer support engineer
- Service engineer
- IT support representative
- Product support engineer
- Field service engineer
- Onsite engineer
- Desktop engineer
- Desktop support engineer
- End user support engineer
- Hardware and networking engineer
- Field technical engineer
- Service sales engineer
- Senior hardware technician and many more.
Jobs in various sectors
With more and more advancement in science and technology, ample amount of job opportunities have been generated in the IT sector and in the ITES sector. Some of them are as follows:
- Banking sector
- IT sector
- Finance sector
- Education sector
- Government sector
- Aviation sector and many more
We can say that there is not even a single sector where IT experts don’t work. This, in turn, shows that every sector offers jobs to the technicians.
They can earn in somewhere nearby twenty five thousand in the initial stages. While after gaining experience they can earn up to lakhs in a month. And those who pursue masters earn a lot more than graduates.
Benefits of working in technical sector
There are lots of opportunities to work in the IT sector. This sector has become evergreen sector, offering jobs to large number of the job seekers.
Some of the benefits are as follows:
- Never ending requirements– the demand from business and governments who are in need of digital transformation. And the need for cyber security experts for technology and data sharing is gaining importance.
- Opportunity to work in technical field– with advancement in technology, the employers is hiring graduates who hold degree in some other stream as well. Because they understand the benefit of employing trained and smart people to grow in their business.
- Work in any industry- you can either work for a bank or work for a video games company. You also get to work in the government or a media sector. You can also work for a small start-up or a multinational company. IT professionals can work in any sector or in any industry. Beyond these sectors, the actual roles within IT are diverse.
- Incentives- the perks and benefits are common in every organization, especially in the larger companies. But perhaps more important is to maintain balance between personal and professional life.
Why choosing IT sector?
The sector is challenging and provides the opportunity to a large number of candidates where they can use analytical skills. The must have problem solving and excellent analytical skills which can be used in any profession. High profile jobs that require technology skills are trending these days. Engineers are in great demand as the society needs people to develop new technologies for the benefit of humans.
How to a get a job?
If you are looking for technician jobs in IT sector then you can rely on various sources. For example, referrals, networking, job portals and social networking sites, classified section of newspapers can help candidates in getting technicians jobs. But before you start applying for the jobs you need to have a well prepared CV in your hand, if you are a fresher. And resume if you are an experienced candidate. These days’ job portals are not only helping candidates in getting jobs. But they also provide with some boosting career advices, resume writing services, business meeting etiquettes, interview tips, questionnaire section on interviews to help candidates and many more.