If you are a Canadian citizen over the age of 19 looking to partake in cannabis, there are plenty of options for you to try. While smoking a joint or firing up the water pipe can be great, it represents just one way to consume. The world of weed has a lot to offer a cannabis enthusiast—from traditional rolled joints to full-fledged weed-infused beverages.
Many people are increasingly seeking an alternative or more discrete consumption method that allows them to accurately track their dosage. This is where Canadian edibles come in as an attractive alternative.
What Are THC Gummies?
THC or tetrahydrocannabinol is one of the two main cannabinoids found in cannabis. It is chemically similar to your body’s endocannabinoids, thus enabling it to bind to your brain’s cannabinoid receptor type 1. It is also psychoactive, and as a result, produces a sense of euphoria and an altering of consciousness. THC can help with muscular pain, anxiety, depression, and insomnia.
THC gummies are simply candy infused with THC. They’re available in an assortment of colors and flavors and provide consumers with a discrete option for THC consumption. THC gummies can be categorized as cannabis edibles, which are cannabis products ingested orally and metabolized by the liver.
The liver converts THC into the more potent 11-Hydroxy THC; this is why cannabis edibles can often produce a more potent high than their smokable counterparts. Since the metabolic degradation and assimilation of the drug into the bloodstream takes time, cannabis edibles can take much longer post-ingestion to cause any effects (30-60 minute minimum onset).
Many Canadians enjoy indulging in edibles compared to smoking weed, mainly due to their convenience, stronger potency, controlled dosage, and the popularity of gummy bears as a whole.
What You Need to Know About THC Gummies
Cannabis edibles have certain pros and cons when compared to their more famous, smokable counterparts.
Advantages of Edibles:
- The liver metabolizes them into 11-Hydroxy THC, which produces a much more pronounced high than other cannabis products, lasting up to 12 hours after ingestion.
- They’re inconspicuous, and you can easily hide them in your pocket or home.
- They come in an assortment of delicious flavors and fun colors, unlike their smokable counterparts.
- Edibles are far easier to acquire owing to their growing popularity in the Canadian market.
Disadvantages of Edibles:
- Metabolization and assimilation are time-consuming processes. Unlike smoking, which produces an immediate effect, edibles can take a minimum of 30-60 minutes to take effect, and these effects may peak about 4 hours after ingestion.
- Since the marijuana industry is still mostly non-regulated, the THC content found in individual tinctures or gummies can vary significantly among the same batch, resulting in potentially undesirable and dangerous effects on the consumer.
- The high produced by edibles is different from that of smoked cannabis. If you are a new consumer, it can be a bit more intense than expected.
How to Make THC Gummies at Home?
There’s a whole world of edibles available on the market. Even though you can readily order THC gummies online, they’re still relatively easy to make at home. They don’t require much time or expensive equipment, and there are fairly straightforward recipes available for you to follow.
Before you begin with your recipe, make sure that your weed is decarboxylated. Decarboxylation is an essential step since natural cannabis plants contain the non-psychoactive precursor to THC known as THCA. The decarboxylation process removes a carboxyl group from THCA, thus converting it into the psychoactive compound THC. You can begin this process by heating the cannabis over a period of time in an oven preheated to 250 F.
Here are the steps to follow once you have decarbed your bud:
- Mix the decarboxylated cannabis with lecithin and coconut oil and put them into a water bath at 250 F for two hours.
- Extract the oil out of the mixture using a filter.
- Combine the infused oil with water and boil them.
- Whisk in the desired flavor into the gelatin and continue whisking for five minutes.
- With the heat set to low, start molding the gummies with a dropper or a spoon along with periodic stirring.
- Place the gummy molds in a refrigerator for a minimum of an hour before consumption.
Indulge in a Stronger, Tastier High
Many Canadians have been turning to THC Gummies as their preferred consumption method, especially those seeking something different; this trend is partially due to their high potency, which results in a much longer-lasting high. If this is the type of cannabis high you are looking for, delicious THC gummies will make you very happy.