There are so many reasons why you should consider targeting the US eCommerce market. Moreover, recent statistical reports from Statista show that the US is one of the countries with the highest number of digital buyers in the world.
In addition to this, the numbers are expected to grow in the coming years, thus giving you even more reason as to why you should venture into the US eCommerce market.
However, you have to keep in mind that starting and maintaining an eCommerce business requires a lot of work. If you don’t do things correctly, there is a high chance that your business may fail even in a successful eCommerce market like that in the USA.
With that being said, you should make it your goal that you get everything right. This applies before and after starting the eCommerce business.
As such, ensure that you have a detailed outline of the business that you intend to start. This not only simplifies your work when making crucial decisions but will also increase your chances of becoming successful in your eCommerce business.
Remember, starting an eCommerce business is just but the first step. You need to figure out ways that can help you drive more traffic to your eCommerce website, promote the business, retain clients, etc.
Why Is the US Ecommerce Market Successful?
As stated earlier, the US eCommerce market is full of opportunities. To elaborate, however, it is always good to narrow down to the specifics. That being said, here are some of the reasons why the US eCommerce market is thriving.
- The US Has An Abundance of Digital Buyers
-Most people in the US don’t mind navigating through eCommerce websites for products. According to Digital Commerce 360, people in the US spent up to $791.70 billion buying stuff online as of 2020.
-Statistical reports from the Census Bureau indicate that the number of people who shop online rose exponentially due to the COVID pandemic.
- Excellent Internet Penetration
-The internet is very vital in the world of eCommerce. It gives customers quick and easy access to the products that they need.
-A large percentage of the US population is made of internet-savvy people, so they have no problem finding items in online stores.
- Reliable Logistics System
-When customers make orders online, they expect to receive the items within the shortest time possible. To achieve this, you need a reliable shipping system, and that is exactly what the US eCommerce market offers.
-Customers in the US can receive most of their orders in a matter of hours. However, the delivery time may vary from one supplier to another.
How to start an eCommerce business in the USA
The US eCommerce market is quite competitive. As such, you should take your time before launching your business.
To be on the safe side, you can consult those who have been in the business for a while. But most importantly, ensure that you follow the right steps when starting up an eCommerce business.
Here are the steps that can help you start your eCommerce business;
1. Choose a Product
- When starting an eCommerce business, the first question that should come to your mind is what you should sell. Most people have a problem choosing items for their business, so ensure that you settle on the right category of products
- Nonetheless, the good news is that the US eCommerce market allows you to sell just about anything. Depending on your target market, you can sell beauty products, electronic gadgets, clothes, baby equipment, furniture, etc. These are just but suggestions, so the final decision is yours to make.
2. Research the Market
- Before you roll out your products, you need to research the market as this will help you know what your competitors are selling and the strategies that they are using.
- By researching, you will also familiarize yourself with the current trends in the market. Additionally, research will provide you with new ideas that will make your business unique.
3. Build an eCommerce Website
- Now that you have chosen the products and did your research, you can establish an online presence by building an eCommerce website.
- This is yet another crucial step that requires keenness and next-level creativity. To get maximum results, you should go for the current website design trends.
- Always remember that it only takes 0.05 seconds to impress those visiting your website. Ensure that you use a simple website design that is equally attractive. Choose the right name, logo, and customization.
4. Launch the eCommerce Business
- Once everything is in order, you can present your website to the general public. Finding the right channel for the category of products that you are selling is very important in this step.
- If you can, you may offer discounts during the launch since this can help you get your first customer. Again, this is just but a suggestion.
5. Market your eCommerce Business
- After the launch, you need to market your business through advertisement and other promotional strategies.
- The best way to go about this is by using social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. Facebook ads, in particular, are very effective when it comes to marketing eCommerce businesses.
- Entrepreneurs in the US eCommerce market make full use of social media platforms, and that is one of the reasons why they are so successful.
Start your eCommerce Business in The US
You can successfully start an eCommerce business in the US by following the five simple steps that we have highlighted above. With the right marketing strategies, your business will not only thrive but will also reap large profits.
To increase your customer conversion rate, ensure that you choose the right audience when marketing your online business. You can also make use of email marketing campaigns to attract more customers.