Summary: This article aims to inform its readers of the details of Panchakarma and beauty treatments for maintaining the everlasting vitality and health.
“Beauty is Health. Health is Beauty.”– Andre Leon Talley.
Health and beauty, in most ways, are interconnected. Collectively, the best makeup and expensive skin care products can do only a little good to enhance our beauty, or at times they won’t help us at all if we don’t take enough care of ourselves. The constant exposure to multiple stressful situations, the bad eating habits, the irregular sleep patterns, and mostly the erroneous life that most of us live tarnishes us inside-out that no beauty product can conceal.
The traditional Indian science of Ayurveda restores health and beauty in the most healthful and glorious manner. The wisdom of Ayurveda is based on a holistic understanding of the mind-body and overall harmony in life. With its roots in Indian Vedic culture, Ayurveda is a wholesome healing system unlike any other, offering a unique approach to healthcare through self-discovery, conscious living, and healthy eating. Emphasizing on ideal daily routine, diet, and behavior–Ayurveda states that health is a balanced integration between our surroundings, body, mind, and spirit.
- Tri-Dosha: The science of Ayurveda considers human beings a part of nature and describes that the three elements of air, water, and fire govern the individual’s body structure, attitude, transformations, and movements. These are known as Vata, Pitta, and Kapha that dictates the characteristics of our body and mind. The Vata governs the respiration, circulation, elimination, nervous system, etc. Pitta element rules the digestion, metabolic process, body temperatures, wisdom, and more. While the Kapha governs growth, lubrication, fluid secretion, and patience. In human physiology, these three body humor interact with each other in a balanced way to sustain life. When one of these three is increased or altered quantitatively or qualitatively, you begin to experience dissonance.
- Diet: In Ayurveda, diet plays an important role in maintaining the complete health and wellness of the individuals. Ayurveda knowledge extensively focuses on the body constitution and the rhythms of nature. It prescribes a diet containing six tastes and according to one’s body doshas for overall wellness. Ayurveda also advocates the practice of mindful eating, following an appropriate diet pattern, and eating foods that are harmonious with nature.
- Treatments and Herbs: The classical texts on Ayurveda, Charaka Samhita, and Sushruta Samhita contain Ayurveda therapies and treatments for healing the sufferings and benefiting the body of the individuals. Therapies and treatments are based on herbal, mineral, medicinal, and organic compounds.
Panchakarma is an Ayurvedic detoxifying and rejuvenating treatment for the body and mind. In Sanskrit, ‘Pancha’ means ‘five’ and ‘Karma’ means ‘treatment’ revealing Panchakarma containing five procedures for bringing the imbalanced doshas into balance and for improving the health and beauty of the body. Panchakarma is an ancient technique that benefits the overall health and assists in self-healing. With Panchakarma treatment in Kerala India, you can reap the following benefits:
- Profoundly purify your body and mind from ama (toxic matter) and impurities
- Eliminate vitiated doshas from the body and restore its equilibrium
- Strengthen your immune system and make your body disease free
- Embrace deep relaxation and a sense of well-being
- Release stress and tensions from the body and mind. Slow the aging process.
- Enhance your vitality, strength, mental clarity, and self-resilience.
Purvakarma is the initial stage of Panchakarma treatment. The Purvakarma treatment helps in liquefying the waste products from the tissues to the intestines, later which is flushed out through the body by the Panchakarma treatment. The Purvakarma makes the effects of Panchakarma more effective. It starts with:
- Snehan (Internal lubrication): Snehan is the procedure of removing the dryness of the tissues and making the body passages smooth. This technique mobilizes the unwanted matter lodged in the body. Intake of Ghee (clarified butter), herbal mixtures of Triphala acts as lubricants and provides a laxative effect.
- Swedana: It is a fomentation therapy of opening up the channels of the body for eliminating the toxins by Virechana/ Vamana therapies. The Swedana process reduces stiffness and heaviness of the body by inducing sweating.
The Five Panchakarma Techniques and Benefits:
1. Vamana: Scientifically, Vamana is known as medical vomiting. It is one of the five Panchakarma techniques used for treating Kapha Dosha. This procedure is carried out in the morning on an empty stomach when the Kapha is aggravated. Medicinal drinks are given to the patient for liquefying the Kapha, and the waste is eliminated through the upper gastrointestinal tract. After the emesis, therapy is done with ghee, a steam bath followed by proper rest. The Vamana therapy balances the Kapha dosha, enhances digestive fire, and restores wellness.
2. Virechana: Virechana is a purgation treatment done through herbs and medicinal drugs for loosening the stools that increases bowel movements and for treating Pitta Dosha. The Vamana therapy is best for treating toxic matter accumulated in the liver and gallbladder. The Vamana therapy benefits include: detoxification of accumulated Pitta dosha, purified GI tract, treats mild skin disorders, and is effective in curing the disease of piles, constipation, ulcers, etc.
3. Nasya: Nasya is the third sacred Panchakarma treatment for cleansing the body. The herbal drugs are administered through the nasal cavity for the purpose of cleansing. Nasal therapy releases tensions and accumulated brain stress. It is also beneficial in reducing sinus congestion.
4. Basti: Basti Panchakarma technique is performed to treat Vata disorders like insomnia, arthritis, dryness, etc. Basti is highly efficient as a rejuvenating therapy as well. Medicated oil or Ghee is given as an enema to clean the colon.
5. Raktamokshana: Raktamokshana is the fifth Panchakarma treatment. The process involves letting the leeches suck out the Agre Sravasti Dushtasram, the impure blood. The Ayurvedic Raktamokshana therapy is helpful in treating the numerous skin problems, in balancing the body humor and keeping the body in good health.
The Best Panchakarma Treatment in India:
Panchakarma is a 5000-year old Ayurvedic treatment from the land of India aimed at the optimal experience of health, vitality, and goodness. India being the motherland of Ayurveda and the destination blessed with natural abounds is the perfect place to undergo the authentic Panchakarma treatment experience. Here is a list of places offering best Panchakarma treatment in India:
- Kerala: The land of Kerala is the torchbearer of traditional and pure Panchakarma treatments in India. Offering you with an assortment of Ayurvedic centers and spa resorts, Panchakarma treatment in Kerala India is a complete feeling of enhanced health.
- Rishikesh: Radiating the colors of divinity, peacefulness, and wellness, Rishikesh is the best place to undergo Panchakarma treatment. Several travel and leisure magazines of the world boast of Rishikesh as a place having the best of Ayurvedic teachers, conducive environment, and an assortment of Ayurvedic therapies, including Panchakarma.
- Shimla: In the embrace of beautiful mountains and lush green landscape, Shimla is no doubt a place to revive and restore. The place has bountiful of spots amidst pleasing surroundings where you can benefit from traditional Panchakarma practices.
Beauty and Skin Care Treatment:
Ayurveda is the science of life as well as the promoter of inner beauty. The Ayurveda system has a unique perspective on the beauty that says: disease-free and balanced body, clear mind, and pleasing heart constitutes real beauty radiating from inside-out. With prime focus on consumption of diet according to body dosha, proper 7-8 hours of sleep, yogic exercises, and more– Ayurveda also suggests certain herbal body and face packs and beauty regimen for enhancing the glow.
Here are the best beauty treatments that you can get in India:
1. Herbal Face Pack (Mukham Lapem): Go for Ayurvedic skin treatment in Kerala, India where you get to choose an assortment of face packs for all skin types. The Mukham Lepam consists of herbal elements like yogurt, milk, fuller earth, etc., effective in clearing blackheads, blemishes, uneven skin tone, and more.
2. Head and Face Massage (Shiro and Mukha Abhyanga): This particular Ayurvedic treatment is soothing for the head and helps relieve stress from the mind, shoulders, and neck. The properties of medicated oil prevent premature greying of the hair and promote healthy hair growth. Mukha Abhyangam is an Ayurvedic therapy for freeing the constrictions within the facial muscles and connective tissues. The gentle touch of the Ayurvedic experts press the Marma points that stimulate the five sensory organs.
3. Herbal Facial (Lavanya): Repair your skin and get a healthy shine by taking a herbal facial Ayurvedic skin treatment in Kerala. The herbal packs are prepared from essential oils and several Rasayana that immensely benefits the cells and tissues of the skin.
4. Ayurvedic Body Pack (Twak Prasadam): Twak Prasadam is an Ayurvedic healing technique for the whole body. Performed in four steps, this process is highly refreshing and rejuvenating for the body as well as for giving it a smooth texture.
Some quick Ayurvedic tips for eternal beauty:
- Know Your Dosha Type: Your body dosha dictates your skin type. Vata is thin, dry, delicate; Pitta is more prone to rashes and breakouts, and Kapha is oilier and susceptible to acne and blackheads. Opt for beauty treatments that balance an aggravated dosha.
- Let the Season Dictate Your Skin Care Routine: According to several Ayurvedic doctors, seasonal approaches for skin care are extremely important. During summers, you need to harmonize the Pitta Dosha.
- Moisturize: Ayurvedic experts recommend the use of coconut oil on a daily basis because of its cooling properties. You can also try clarified butter (Ghee) for moisturizing the skin. People with dry skin can use castor oil mask whereas with those with oily skin can go for chickpea flour face pack.
- Use Sugar For Exfoliation: Exfoliate your skin with natural face pack made from sugar mixed with rose petals, bhringraj, and other herbs. Sugar is cooling in nature and helps in retaining skin moisture and also enhances cell turnover.
Highly-Effective Ayurvedic Face Packs:
1. Turmeric and Gram Flour Pack: The ingredient turmeric is antiseptic in nature, and gram flour has exfoliating properties. The turmeric and gram flour pack provides brightening effects to the skin and balances the pH of the skin.
2. Honey and Lemon Face Pack: Make a pack from natural substances like honey and lemon loaded with antioxidants and hydroxy acids that will keep your face glowing.
3. Turmeric, Milk, and Besan Face Pack: This herbal face pack is highly effective in treating blemishes. Add a few drops of lemon to reduce tanning while milk makes your skin soft.
4 Aloe Vera Pack: The aloe vera is packed with essential vitamins and compounds that keep your skin free from inflammations. They are also effective in toning the skin.
The Benefits of Beauty Treatment in India:
1. Herbal Concoctions: The major benefit of taking beauty treatments in India is the usage of natural ingredients. The traditional body and face packs here are composed of herbal and Ayurvedic substances that heal the skin from within and let it shine outwards without posing any side-effects.
2. Ayurvedic Doctors: The land of Ayurveda– India is the home to many qualified Ayurvedic doctors, certified skin experts, and professional beauticians having a nurturing touch on one’s body and years of experience helping you gain eternal beauty and benefits of the beauty treatments.
3. Health and Wellness: Beauty treatments in India caters to health-promoting experiences. The therapeutic powers of the substances used in diverse kinds of body and face packs provide benefits that extend beyond the physical body to the mind of the individuals.
4. Relax and Recharge: With beauty treatments in various Indian locations, indulge in self-pampering and self-care. The beauty techniques effectively relax your body muscles, eases body-mind tensions, and rejuvenates you holistically.
5. Personalized Touch: In the diverse beauty centers of India, get personalized beauty treatments designed to take care in the best possible manner.
India is the place for you to regain your health and beauty in the most traditional and splendid fashion through Panchakarma and beauty treatments.
Let your real beauty shine out!
Manmohan Singh has been a practitioner of yoga and Ayurveda for the last 12 years. He is managing director of Rishikul Ayurshala, an authentic Ayurveda training institute. The Institue offers ayurveda courses in Kerala India and ayurveda cooking classes in kerala India. The institute’s goal is to provide the simplest healing solutions and treatments for multifarious health problems. Apart from the institute management, Manmohan Singh loves to spend time writing, doing photography and traveling.